There are too many headlines to count highlighting the latest cybercrime, ransomware, cryptojack or even just malicious code wreaking havoc on corporations large and small. Despite the $billons spent on preventing this, we still seem to find yet another cybercriminal breaching yet another “secure” environment. Is there an ideal solution? Or perhaps a better way to look at it might be if there is a set of criteria to describe the ideal solution.
Cyber Threats Are Pervasive
A Symantec Cybersecurity Predictions 2018 infographic posted on GadgetsNow.com highlights 10 reasons why cyberthreats will continue to grow in 2018 with observations like “file-less and file-light malware will explode.” We have also blogged previously on how “Hacker Evolve.”
5 Keys To Cyber Threat Prevention
So, now that you are sufficiently frightened by the prospects of having to radiate a cyber attack, it’s time to evaluate a better solution. The 5 keys to selecting an ideal cyber prevention solution include:
- Find something future-proof:In order to be future-proof, the technology cannot rely on signatures, patterns, or behaviors of malware. There should be no prediction, no guesswork, no inconclusive results and as such, it can neutralize 0-day attack effectively and generate a deterministic outcome regardless of known versus unknown threats.
- Works in real-time: The technology cannot introduce any kind of meaningful latency or delay in analysis of incoming threats. It should provide a conclusive result (quarantine vs. clean) instantaneously at the point of content ingress rather than allowing potentially malware-laden content into the enterprise for further analysis.
- Must be evasion-proof: The technology cannot need to run, detonate, disarm or reconstruct a file in any kind of controlled environment to ferret out malware. Smart malware can fingerprint these technologies and figure out ways to evade such controlled environments given their operational dependencies and constraints for precisely supported configurations for accuracy of results. The solution should be client application agnostic, technology stack and OS independent in its operation for incredibly accurate results regardless of the environment.
- All content must be covered:This may sound like a blatant statement of the obvious, but if your content isn’t covered by your cyber protection solution, then clearly it is at risk. Ensure you have coverage of network-based content ingress into any place in your organization. The technology should not be limited to email only (such as sandbox), or to email file attachments only (such as CDR), but can be applied across email, B2B connections, web downloads (through proxies) and cloud file sharing applications with 3-5 lines of configuration or API modifications.
- The bottom line shouldn’t hit your bottom line:requiring too many resources or extensive budget is also a potential failure point so look for the lowest true cost of ownership and operations. The technology, once deployed, should not need any additional human or computing capital to constantly monitor, update and operate. There should be no rules to write, no signatures to update, no behaviors to analyze and no double checking of reconstructed files. It should be a network-based software solution that does not require any additional hardware for deployment, and can easily be deployed on-premise, as a cloud or a hybrid thereof depending on the IT requirements.
Prevent, Don't Remediate
In order to prevent instead of remediating attacks, you will need an advanced cyber threat prevention solution that satisfies all 5 keys described above. Solebit’s SoleGATE uses a static analysis which is faster, more accurate, not OS version dependent and covers 100% of your code, with complete visibility. With SoleGATE, every line of code is evaluated, making Sandbox evasion techniques ineffective. The platform is agnostic to file type, client-side application type, or the client operating system used within the organization. Unlike a Sandbox which has to simulate specific customer environments, SoleGATE provides protection regardless of operating system, CPU architecture, and function (client, server) of the targeted machine.
SoleGATE provides seamless prevention across all environments with no dependencies or customizations. The solution is agnostic to client applications or operating systems.
Using deep inspection and analysis methods, SoleGATE is able to interpret and detect code in real time and immediately block threats from penetrating your organization. DvC™ has no assumptions on threat heuristics and behavior and assumes that there is no legitimate reason for executable code to be present in a data file, it relies solely on identifying code existence on non-executables files. Bottom line is that you will finally have safe content!
See for yourself what SoleGATE can do to deliver evasion proof security for your organization today. Register for a free trial today.